Sunday, 22 November 2015

My fervent hope

[Originally posted on Facebook]

It is my fervent hope that, one day, we will learn to see people and respond with compassion, instead of seeing labels and responding with fear and hatred.

To be clear, I mean that whether the label that arouses our hatred is "Muslim", "Republican", "Democrat", "liberal", "Conservative", or "left-winger". Or anything else.

I include myself in this wish, because I too am capable of labelling and responding with fear and hatred.

Sometimes fear is justified, but often - arguably mostly - it isn't. And hatred only ever leads to destruction, not least of our own goodness.

Now that I've probably pissed off 2/3 of my friends list, I'll go and write an article on the Modern Slavery Act 2015. It won't be nearly as tub-thumping as you might imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment